Follow

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Lasagna Rolls - Stuffed Pasta, Part III


Those of you who have been following along have noticed my travails with stuffed pasta.    It began when I splurged on a lovely All-Clad lasagna pan.  Then I ran into a sale of Barilla pasta (my favorite) lasagna noodles and jumbo shells.  Kismet!  So I made lasagna.

It was delicious, but it was not at all attractive.

Then I made stuffed shells.  What a pain to make.  Again, delicious, but, again, not attractive.

Then it was Betsy to the rescue!  I hope everyone has a Betsy in their life.  If it happens in the kitchen, Betsy has probably done it.  If an attempt fails, Betsy can usually identify why.  If I don't know what to do next, Betsy has an idea.  It was Betsy who suggested lasagna rolls.

So I cooked a complete package of lasagna noodles, boiling them for about 10 minutes.  I use a huge steamer pot.  And by inserting the noodles one at a time, they don't stick together.  When they are done, replace the cooking water with cool water and leave them until you are ready to assemble.

The filling is 32 ounces of ricotta, two eggs, 8 ounces of shredded mozzarella, about 1/3 cup of freshly grated locatelli, lots of parsley, some basil, black pepper, and nutmeg.

 Work on a cookie sheet (to avoid messing up too much of the kitchen!). Lay out 6 noodles (there are around 18 in a box).  Put on some cheese, then add tomato sauce (mine is made with sausage, ground beef, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes and our own tomatoes, herbs, spices, cheese, garlic).

Put some sauce in the bottom of the pan.
Then roll each noodle and place in the pan.


When they are all in the pan, add some more sauce, and bake, covered, at 400º for about an hour.



Then uncover, add more sauce, and mozzarella and bake for 10 minutes more until the cheese is melted.

Thanks, Betsy, for the suggestion that I try this.  It's much neater and more attractive. As my sister pointed out, it helps with portion control.   Also, you can serve it right out of the oven for those who like it hot.  With regular lasagna, you have to wait or it will go slip, sliding.  This holds its shape even when it's hot.  And with the same ingredients, it is delicious.  




1 comment:

Becky said...

That is a true work of art. Even frozen leftovers will look terrific the second and perhaps third time around. I might just try that myself!