Follow

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A Quick and Easy Soup - Variation on Phở


WHAT is Phở?
Phở is a Vietnamese soup, usually made with beef bone broth and rice noodles, with thin sliced beef added at the last minute.  It is usually accompanied, on the side, with a selection of bean sprouts, basil, peppers, to be added in the quantities you wish.

HOW do you pronounce Phở?
It looks like it should rhyme with go, pro, no, but that would be wrong!  It is pronounced "FUH", kind of like the first part of that word. . . 

So what can you do at home?
Well, the essential part, to me, is the rice noodles and some kind of broth, and I use what ever suits my fancy and take advantage of what is in the fridge and cupboard.

For the stock, if I don't have homemade, I use Minor's.  I'll use either the Chicken Base or the Beef Base.
If Minor's is not in your store, you can get it online.  Great to have in the fridge.

Then I add anything. . . Today was mushrooms, celery, and the bits of chicken that I cut off when making chicken cutlets for dinner.  When I'm satisfied with the broth, it's time for the noodles.

I like Saifun noodles.  I wish I could remember where I got these!
Maybe Wegmans?

These white noodles are like slivered guitar picks in texture.
They go into boiling liquid for 20 minutes.
Until they have absorbed some liquid, they cannot be cut very easily.


After a few minutes in the broth, I use a kitchen scissors to cut into more manageable lengths.
And I usually miss some, making this great fun to eat!

I'll add a bit more broth, and it's ready to enjoy!






1 comment:

John Greeley said...

I use these in stir fry sometimesThe noodles are hard to cut. I tried breaking them ahead of time but they didn’t hold up,to cooking. They broke Into tiny pieces. Next time, I used scissors like you did somewhat successfully.