Follow

Monday, March 23, 2020

Well, I Don't Have to Do That Again. . . .


One of the folk in my swim class (cancelled now by COVID-19) had me laughing when we discussed our Christmas holidays,  "I've lived for 83 years without ever making a Bûche de Noël, and it will be another 83 years before I ever try that again!"  Well, I haven't lived quite as long, but this winter lets me identify two "I Don't Have to Do That Again" experiences. 

The latest to get on the never-list is stuffed shells.  

I like them, and I ran into a sale on the Jumbo Shells.

I was already making a pot of pasta sauce with sausage, beef, mushrooms, and our own heirloom tomatoes we canned forever ago.
So I got out my super-duper lasagna pan got ready.

I added the shells to a pot of boiling salted water:
They recommend only cooking them for 9 minutes so they are still too "al dente" to enjoy,
and then drain them on a cookie sheet until cool enough to handle.



In the meantime, I mixed ricotta, herbs, parmesan, and mozzarella:

Then it was time to stuff the shells. This is a bit of a messy job.


I had enough cheese made for about 2/3 of the shells, so I just added the rest of the hollow shells to the pan and baked everything, covered with foil, for 40 minutes.  Then I uncovered it and sauced it and added mozzarella cheese.

Sadly, the result has about the same visual appeal as the lasagna.


It did taste good, but the looks. . . 

I Don't Have to Do That Again. . . .

You can see the earlier 
"don't have to"



No comments: