Follow

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

To Prick or Not to Prick


D brought in some beautiful baking potatoes.  These Goldrush potatoes bake up fluffy and are a golden color.

There is always a question of whether to prick the potatoes with a fork before baking.  Some folk say don't prick them - you want the steam held inside.  Others say to prick them to keep them from exploding.  

The question will be answered today.

What is the temperature for a "done" baked potato?  Around 210 degrees.  Was my potato around 210?  I took it out and stuck the thermometer in.  POP!  The potato exploded like a balloon.  I jumped back.  The potato skin landed on the floor.


Lots of the potato landed on the counter.  I scooped some of it up.


I guess we will take it out for the chickens to enjoy.


Notice how clean the skin is.  



That's because the inside is all over the counter and the floor.

Fortunately, I cooked an extra potato, so no one had to go hungry.

~~~~~~~~

Now you know.

It is a good idea to prick potatoes before baking.


1 comment:

awwos said...

Thank you for your contribution to the potato baking world! It's not an object lesson we will forget!