Follow

Friday, November 15, 2013

Spent Wheat Bread

A friend is a beer maker, so when I found a recipe that uses the grain leftover from making beer, I sent the idea along - lo, and behold, I received the offer of wheat that they had just finished using in making beer.  I expected a cup or two - but a gallon arrived!!!!

This recipe rambles, because I was making it up as a went along, but it made a lovely loaf.

I mixed one cup of water, one cup of AP flour, and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, covered it, and let it sit overnight.

The next day, I mixed 1 cup of hard cider, 1/4 cup honey, 1/3 cup spent wheat, 1 teaspoon salt, and 280 grams (that was what was left in the bag. . . ) of whole wheat flour.  (That's probably about two cups.)  And I added the flour mixture from the day before.  After mixing well, it was obvious that more flour was needed.  I added 1 cup bread flour, and because that still was not enough, I added 1/3 cup AP flour.

You may notice I'm getting rid of the odds and ends of flour in the house!

After beating with the Cuisinart mixer until it pulled from the sides of the bowl (about 10 minutes), I set it aside to rise.

After it had doubled in size, I folded it a few times and shaped it.

 I slashed the top, as is recommended for French bread or country boules.

I intended to bake in a preheated lidded pot - but when I put it in, it was too big to put the lid on, so I just baked it at 425 for 30-40 minutes.
 It has a nice texture, with the wheat chunks.  The wheat I received was quite dark, and the bread flavor approaches pumpernickel.  It will make great grilled cheese if I use a strongish cheese like gouda or muenster.


We'll have to try that tomorrow.  Today D had it with soup, and I had it plain.

Excellent!

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup water
1 cup hard cider
1 1/3 cup All Purpose flour
2 1/4 cup whole wheat pie and pastry flour (King Arthur)
1 cup bread flour (Sir Lancelot)
1/3 cup spent wheat left over from beer making (double it in the future)
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast (Red Star)
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt




No comments: