Follow

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Welsh Currant Cakes


When I was a kid, this was a favorite from a nearby bakery.  I liked them because they are not very sweet, and they can be a bit rubbery.  I found a recipe from the JoyofBaking.com

They suggest baking on a griddle.  I used my large cast-iron pan.
But I thought they were getting too dark.


They also said they could be done in the oven.  They do not get very dark.

My guess is that I would probably start them on the griddle and finish in the oven.




And I modified it by changing half of the flour to whole wheat pie and pastry flour.  I used 2/3 cup of currants and no peel.

Next time, I would probably use more currants, too.  Especially since D said the bushes are getting huge!  We should have a large crop this year.

They would be really good with jam and clotted cream!

The original recipe:

Welsh Cakes Recipe:
2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter. diced
1/3 cup (80 ml) currants or raisins
1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped Mixed Peel (candied citrus peel)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup (60 ml) milk

Read more:http://www.joyofbaking.com/WelshCakes.html#ixzz32Nzgedtx

No comments: