Follow

Thursday, June 7, 2012

oh, boy, we can eat our fill!

I have had a dish of strawberries each day this week,
but today I picked seriously.
I picked 9 cups of berries, which cleaned to 7 cups.
Pig out time!
























There is quite a variety of size and shape.

We're a little disappointed.
Although these are far superior to supermarket strawberries, this year we have had a huge amount of rain (2.5" in the first seven days of this month, with rain every single day!).  I wonder if this is why the flavor seems less intense than we remembered.

Still good, just not amazing.









On June 8, I picked 10 cups.  I froze some.
On June 10, a friend picked 6 cups and I picked 5.
June 11 - 4 quarts of sliced berries ready for freezer.  I didn't measure as I picked, but probably 7 quarts.
June 13 - two quarts ready for the freezer.  Gave the chickens lots of moldy berries.  Scared a snake in the garden!
June 18 - picked 5 quarts - froze 3.
June 22 - picked 4 quarts - froze 2 1/2

No comments: