Follow

Monday, November 23, 2020

Quicky Quiche

 I like quiche, but I am not crazy about the crust.  It gets soggy as the quiche sits.  It's a pain  and time consuming to make a good crust.  And store bought crusts are not worth the calories.  

I was tickled when I found USA Pan muffin tins that have a non-stick surface that makes for easy clean-up.

It occurred to me that these pans might make cute, individual quiches without crusts.  So I gathered my ingredients.  The proportions are not critical, but I like bacon, onions, mushrooms, spinach, eggs, milk.

So I pulled bacon out of the freezer and fried it with some onions.
FWIW I cut onions for soup and for frying from tip-to-tail rather than across in rings.  I have found that the rings end up stringy.

Add some mushrooms to fry with the onions and bacon.  I thawed some chopped spinach and squeezed much of the water out.  The spinach goes into the pan, too.

Then, into each cup of the muffin tin, place some pieces of bacon, mushrooms, onion, spinach, and cheese.  For laziness, I used Aldi's "Emporium Selection Specialty Shredded Swiss & Gruyere Cheese".  It's so convenient since it's already shredded.  I used the full eight-ounce bag for these.  I like a Swiss-type cheese for quiche.

I use one egg for each 1/2 cup of milk and beat them together.  Add some nutmeg and some freshly ground black pepper.

Then add the egg/milk mixture to each muffin cup.  That's it.

I had more than fit in one muffin tin, so I decided to test the T-Fal nonstick frypan. and added the rest of the liquid to the frypan.  Popped it into a 375º oven.  I did check in advance that the handles could go in the oven - T-Fal says they are safe to 350º, but at other times they have said safe to 400º.

In the muffin tins, the middle row of four has no spinach - just mushrooms, etc.


If you are worried about the handle on your frypan, Cooks Illustrated has come up with a solution:

"wrap the handle in a double layer of wet paper towels and then cover the towels with a double layer of foil. As long as there was water within the foil jacket (it will eventually boil away), the temperature of the handle couldn’t exceed 212 degrees (the boiling point of water)."

.  
These were delicious.  Quick and easy.  They refrigerate nicely and can be frozen, too.
No muss.  No fuss.  No crust.

Have I just invented a frittata?

I had a friend, a rather naïve one, 
who announced to the group, 
"I don't like quickies."
"I'll just have a hamburger."



1 comment:

Betsy-Yahoo said...

I have made variations of these over the years. The crust is not missed.