Follow

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

King Arthur Blueberry Muffins - copy of Jordan Marsh muffins


Karen gave me a pint of blueberries.  She had picked them on her property.  They are delicious, small, and with concentrated sweetness.  I came across this recipe from King Arthur that sounded like a great use of the berries.  https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/famous-department-store-blueberry-muffins-recipe

These muffins copy the recipe of the treat sold in the tearoom of Jordan Marsh Department Store in Boston, Massachusetts in mid-20th Century.  It has a crunchy sugar top.  If it helps you to see the video, you can see it on the King Arthur page, but, fair warning, these two are experts at making a long story longer.  


1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter

1 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup for topping  Will probably use 3/4 cup granulated sugar in the next attempt

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract  I used my own home-made bourbon vanilla

2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour  I used Aldi's all-purpose

1/2 cup milk

2 1/2 cups blueberries   I used two cups, because that's what I had.


375°

25-30 minutes  



I had just two cups of berries, but that was plenty.


I love the USA Pan.  It's silicone coated, and I do not have to use  paper cupcake liners.

And I don't have to grease the tin.

And the muffins do not stick, even with the sugar baking on the tin.

And cleanup is a breeze.

And there is no waste like when the cake sticks to the paper. . . 


With this pan, the edges brown nicely.

The pan is not cheap.  But with the money saved on cupcake liners, and the aggravation saved by not greasing, and the time and energy saved by easy cleanup, it may be worth it!  

It is to me.




The recipe called for one teaspoon of granulated sugar added to each cupcake.
I did half with Demerara Sugar, a crystalline, slightly brown sugar.


The other half got regular granulated sugar.


I much preferred the Demerara.  D much preferred the granulated.  So it goes.


No comments: