Follow

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Bread and Butter Pickles


Had a hankering for bread and butter pickles - we probably made them 15 or 20 years ago, and they are all gone.  We stopped at a farm stand today and they had nice cucumbers for 75¢ and large white onions for 50¢.  So I sliced up two cucumbers and the onion.





With 1/4 cup salt, they rested in the refrigerator for four hours - I have often rested them overnight.


Then I boiled 1/2 cup cider vinegar and 1/2 cup white vinegar with 1/2 cup brown sugar and less than 1/2 cup white sugar.

Now the challenge was to see what spices I had.  There was some pickling spice, some mustard seed, white peppercorns, celery seed, red pepper flakes.  Alas, no turmeric and no cinnamon sticks.  I used Chinese Five Spice powder instead  (That's very finely ground Anise seed, Fennel, Cinnamon, Cloves, Black Peppercorn).

I drained the veggies and added them to the simmering vinegar mix.  Returned it to a boil, then put the entire mix into a quart jar.  It made a scant quart.  Quite enough for two people!

Since I was only making a quart, I did not can them, but simply placed in the refrigerator.  I am wondering if, since they did not have the boiling water bath, they will be too crunchy.  I'll give it a few days, and I can always simmer them if necessary.

No comments: