Follow

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Kabocha Squash

We are trying a new squash this year.
This is a Japanese variety, very popular in Mexico.

I took some to Mexican friends, and they were delighted.
They had been looking for this squash, and it is not available locally.
I had never tasted it, and they fixed it while I was there.
They cut it into small cubes, skin on, and added water, cinnamon sticks, and lots of brown sugar.
It was delicious, but perhaps too sweet for me.

I couldn't wait to try it.
I cut it into four pieces.
(I don't have the strength to chop small.  It's very hard.)
Put it into the dutch oven with a bit of water.
Cook until tender.

My friends mashed theirs, skin and all.
I peeled off the skin before mashing.
It is super soft, so there is really no mashing, just toss with a fork.

I used half to make an amazing soup with candied ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
The other half was served with butter, salt, pepper, and honey.

Delicious.

No comments: