Follow

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Peas and Peppers

When my brother posted his pepper pics, I had to check mine. We are much farther north, and usually two to three weeks later in the spring, but I was delighted to see flowers and peppers on the "cherry bombs".

So --- as long as I was out there with the camera, I got a couple of other garden pics.

The turnips are looking very happy. (D likes turnips in stews. And it's so easy to make a huge pot of soup or stew, and freeze 5-10 one-person servings for lunch. Right now the freezer has chicken with bowtie noodles (farfale), kale, mirepoix, barley. There is also lamb with mushroom and barley (and the ubiquitous mirepoix). And there's pork with everything. He often has soup for lunch with raisin bread.)



The peas are blossoming like mad, but no pods, yet. The peas, beans, peppers, beets, kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts are all in a large garden enclosed by an 8 foot fence. The fence was buried one foot to try to deter the woodchucks. And it's that high to deter the deer.
No matter how far apart we put the rows, picking will be a pain -
I like to pick in the morning, and I'll get soaked by the dew on the plants.
And the rows grow so close together that a stool is not very useful, so it's a lot of bending.
Oh, but nothing is better than peas right out of the garden.



No comments: