Follow

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Hermès Scarf Splurge

Alas, none of these pics are mine, 
but are posted by the sellers.
I guess I've been dreaming for a while of a Hermès Silk Scarf.

As you probably have noticed, I am a bit frugal, so I decided to look on eBay.
Some of the more "reasonable" ones are in Asia, and with the current health situation, I was concerned about importing from there, so I limited my search to the US.
But according to my research, there are lots of fakes, not just in Asia, since people all over the world buy from other places.

It would be nice not to get ripped off!  One of the more difficult patterns to fake are the ones printed on Jacquard silk.  (We also call that "damask".  I love a white damask tablecloth.  The fabric is pure white, but the design is woven into the fabric.)  Because of the weave, it would be difficult to duplicate cheaply.  So I have limited my search to the Jacquard fabrics.

Here is the corner of one that I found.  It's called
“L’instruction du Roy en L’exercice de Monter a Cheval”
This photo is taken by the seller.  Can you see the rearing mounted horses in the fabric?
(Upside down on the nearest layer shown.)
The title translates to "Instructing the King on Riding a Horse".
It is based on a book of horsemanship written in 1620.
This scarf would date to 1993.
There will be no photos of the above scarf.  I got outbid.

Well, the item I bid on, "Cliquetis", has not been shipped yet, as far as I know, and I'm getting impatient.

D has been looking, too, and we agree that the "Luna Park" scarf is stunning.

So we found another scarf:
It measures 90cm on a side (35 inches). 
This also dates to 1993.

Looking forward to seeing it in person.  I hope it drapes as well as this photo (by the seller) implies.
It's harder to see the damask design in these photos.
You are looking for a fireworks starburst.
I have blown up a portion of a picture, and that may help.
Or maybe not.
Do you see a starburst between the flagpole and the green ribbon?

Looks like I'll be on tenterhooks for a while.
I'll add to this when they arrive.

2/6/2020

The first scarf arrived.  It is lovely.  (photo by seller)

The rest of the pics are by me.

The color is a vibrant red-orange.


It drapes beautifully.


 Good thing I am no longer teaching middle schoolers!

There are lots of tutorials on youtube to study tying!
Today we got 8 inches of snow, so we were stuck inside.
It was fun playing with my scarf!


The seller offered a nice price for this scarf:

I hope it is as stunning in person as it is on the computer!  The title is "Napoléon".  The damask figure is the bee.  It was designed by Philippe Ledoux for Hermès in 1963 (and reissued in 1963, 1985, 1989/90, 1997, 2002/03). I do not know how to date this one.


To see the other Hermès scarves I have blogged, click here.



1 comment:

R. said...

I love the second one! Wouldn't it make a wonderful jig-saw puzzle?