Follow

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Hermès Scarf - Farandole

 

This lovely scarf was designed by Caty Latham in 1985 and reissued in 1992.  It is a variety of butterflies surrounding a square of wildflowers.

This color combination of pink and green looks very 50s to me.
Caty Latham also designed another of my scarves, Copeaux.

At the top-center is the title, "Farandole".
According to foodrepublic.com, "Typically, farandole translates to “medley,” “arrangement” or “assortment.” You'll see it describing dishes that involve multiple vegetables or fruits, as well as cheese plates and buffet-style dining."  
So I guess this is an assortment of butterflies!


The artist's signature, "caty", is in the bottom right corner.

The copyright is in the bottom left corner.  ©HERMÈS

In the bottom, center, is HERMÈS - PARIS.

The care tag is intact - albeit with a loose thread. . .

I had read that the letters on the ends of some caretags (M in this tag) indicate that the hand-rolled hems were done by a "master seamstress".  I have also read that that is just a story someone made up, with no basis in fact.  I kind of liked the story!

Like all Hermès silk scarves, this 35 inch square drapes and ties beautifully!






To see the other Hermès scarves I have blogged, click here.



1 comment:

Becky said...

Les Pappions, I love them. I also love the way this scarf changes gradually from pink to coral. We still see a few butterflies, but most of them have headed South. I think I see a foxglove in the center of your scarf. I'm not sure about the other flowers. All of the butterflies are foreign to me. Perhaps their colors are imaginary for fashion's sake.